Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to fix a damaged Micro SD card

How to fix a damaged Micro SD card

I have a friend's 2 GB micro SD card from his phone. He says it doesn't work, and asked me to fix it.

When I put it in a card reader, the light on the card reader comes on, then a few seconds later goes off. The PC anti-virus meanwhile is trying to deal with a virus, but then everything related to "windows explorer" locks up.
    The virus software freezes
    Windows explorer freezes
    The window that normally comes up asking what to do with a USB device doesn't show up
    If I'm using the tools in Windows disk management, they lock up.

If I disconnect the card, everything happens...
    The virus software tells me it has dealt with a virus (but never got to scan any more)
    The window about what to do with a new USB device pops up.
    Windows starts working again

I can't try to "fix" whatever is wrong, as I can't access the card for more than a second.
    I can't format the card, as when it's connected it won't allow anything to be done to it.

There is nothing really important on the card. I'm just struggling with it, because I want to know how to deal with this in case it ever happens again.

The best suggestion I found (I think) was to open a command prompt, and do:

chkdsk h: /r

...which should have checked the file system and repaired anything that was damaged, but since nothing seems to be able to communicate while the card is connected, I can't even do this.

Anyone have any advice?

Name:  sandisk_microsd_2.jpg
Views: 42843
Size:  14.2 KB

I've cleaned the contacts, no change.
    I've used two computers, no change.
    I've used the card plugged in directly, and also with a SD card adapter - no change.
    Have Camera, Will Travel

Smugmug Photo Gallery: www.m.smugmug.com

Hey Mike its was good to read that every thing is working now after disconnect the card well I think some virus corrupt the hardware so I think your micro card is corrupt now.

Hmm, that's the point of this thread - let's say it is totally corrupted. The question is how to fix it. I suspect that the problem goes beyond that, and whatever it is that "controls" the card is broken, but I know next to nothing about this stuff. I doubt it's like a floppy disk, where if the surface isn't damaged, you can always just re-format it.

(Not that I want to do that just yet - reformatting means any data on the card will be completely lost. I'd like to find some software or hardware (not too expensive) that can tell me what's going on with the card, and why it's not working.)

When I get a bit of free time, I think I need to read up on how these cards work. Maybe that will give me a clue how to figure out what's broken.
    Have Camera, Will Travel

Mike best of luck and if you got the solution for this then please share with us.

I have 16 GB micro SD card that I purchased before 2 year. But for the few days I have faced the problems that means my SD card was corrupted. To solve this problem I just formate my card. But before the formating I took the back up of all my valuable files.
    boost mobile signal through signal boosters

Depending on what's wrong with the card, you might not be able to get all your photos off a corrupted card. There is software available that is designed to go through every sector on the card's file system, and retrieve any and all images, even if they're partly damaged. Once you do that, you can re-format and re-use the card, as you've suggested, but maybe you wouldn't want to "trust" that card for anything?
    Have Camera, Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Depending on what's wrong with the card, you might not be able to get all your photos off a corrupted card. There is software available that is designed to go through every sector on the card's file system, and retrieve any and all images, even if they're partly damaged. Once you do that, you can re-format and re-use the card, as you've suggested, but maybe you wouldn't want to "trust" that card for anything?
    I am agree with you. When I took backup before the formating of my card I lost some images and also some videos and now I have no trust on my card. I want to purchase new one but I am finding best and trustful card. Can you suggest me?

Do you mean a micro SD card for a mobile phone, or a larger card for a camera?

Suggestion - take the card that you've got, and use the special recovery software you can download, to get everything off the card that you can. You'll want to put the card in a card reader, probably with one of those adapters that go from normal SD size down to the micro-SD.

When you're done, format the card with your computer. If you have the time, select the "slow" format that does every sector on the card, one at a time. If it formats OK, then put it back in your phone, and if possible, re-format the card again, this time using the phone to do the format.

My experience is that these cards are pretty rugged - they either work fine, or they're dead.

.........but if you're going somewhere to take important photos, or store anything that's important to you on the card, you'll probably feel more relaxed if you get a new card.

Which brand? If you buy any "name brand" card, from a reputable shop, you'll probably be fine, but have empty pockets. If you buy one from one of the bazaars, chances are it will still be fine, and you'll have enough INR left over to get lunch. The price is constantly coming down, and the capacity going up. I used to get 1GB cards, but they seem to be extinct. The smallest cards I could find earlier this year were 2GB.
    Have Camera, Will Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Do you mean a micro SD card for a mobile phone, or a larger card for a camera?

Suggestion - take the card that you've got, and use the special recovery software you can download, to get everything off the card that you can. You'll want to put the card in a card reader, probably with one of those adapters that go from normal SD size down to the micro-SD.

When you're done, format the card with your computer. If you have the time, select the "slow" format that does every sector on the card, one at a time. If it formats OK, then put it back in your phone, and if possible, re-format the card again, this time using the phone to do the format.

My experience is that these cards are pretty rugged - they either work fine, or they're dead.

.........but if you're going somewhere to take important photos, or store anything that's important to you on the card, you'll probably feel more relaxed if you get a new card.

Which brand? If you buy any "name brand" card, from a reputable shop, you'll probably be fine, but have empty pockets. If you buy one from one of the bazaars, chances are it will still be fine, and you'll have enough INR left over to get lunch. The price is constantly coming down, and the capacity going up. I used to get 1GB cards, but they seem to be extinct. The smallest cards I could find earlier this year were 2GB.
    Thank you so much Mike. Your valuable information and suggestions are very important for me. I was talking about the Memory card for my Mobile phone. As per your suggestion, If I purchase new branded card from the reputable shop then will it give me guaranty or warranty on the card?

Yes; the better cards do come with a guarantee, but if you're buying a 2GB card, the cards cost so little that a guarantee isn't that big a deal. It's a much bigger deal to lose all your data on the card, and be "stuck" until you can get a new card and hopefully restore your data.

I'm guessing that the card either will work fine, or not work at all - so if you buy one, and put it in your phone right at the place where you're buying it, you'll immediately know if the card has a problem. I guess it could always go bad later, but chances are, if it works when you buy it, it will keep on working.

My memory says that a 2GB card was priced between 200 and 250 INR. Is that still true?
    Have Camera, Will Travel